- Deep and broad experience and contacts in the music, media, technology and entertainment fields attacking new projects and initiatives, opening new revenue streams and venues for exposure. Specialties: Digital Strategy, Audience Growth, Online and Mobile Marketing and Promotion, Emerging Media, Product Development.
- Has created groundbreaking and successful products, promotions and businesses for employers, partners, clients and artists including Pandora, Columbia Records, Sony Music, Virgin Records, Glassnote Records, Rykodisc, MTV Networks, Red Bull, VEVO, AOL, Yahoo, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Google, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Universal Music Group, Capitol Music Group, Cablevision, Warner Music; Daft Punk, Pharrell Williams, Gorillaz, Jack White, The Avett Brothers, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Lenny Kravitz, Tim McGraw, Migos, The Rolling Stones, The Offspring, HAIM, Janet Jackson, Calvin Harris, Bob Mould and many more.
- Frequent panelist and moderator at music industry and digital media conferences and gatherings, most recently SXSW 2018, Harvard Business School Entertainment and Media Conference 2018, and Digital Music Forum 2017.
Nodisc - Principal
Nodisc is the media, marketing, consulting and content enterprise of Lars Murray, a strategist, marketer, creator, connector, and leader. Lars brings a track record of opening new revenue streams and opportunities for leading content and streaming companies, partners and clients — attacking new projects and initiatives armed with broad experience and contacts in the music, media, technology and entertainment fields.
Why Nodisc? Lars registered Nodisc.com as a domain in the 90s, anticipating the replacement of hard-copy media formats and unit sales with digital file and streaming models. With this prediction having been realized, the name lives on in the spirit of ongoing innovation and transformation in the music, media, and technology spaces.
Pandora – SVP Music Makers Group/SVP Strategic Content Partnerships/Senior Leadership Team
Strategized and led the Music Makers Group, a centralized music resource to serve and connect Pandora's Listeners, Advertisers, and Music Partners. Between 2014 and 2018, MMG accomplished the following:
- Spearheaded Pandora's efforts to align with the music industry and create direct relationships.o Developed and executed strategies to build partnerships across record labels, management, and the live music industry
- ~80 Events yearly
- ~120 Content programs yearly
- Over 200 promotional programs yearly
- o Laid foundation for Sales, Marketing and content partners to align interests
- o Rolled out Artist marketing tools to music industry, resulting in nearly 1 Billion free promotional messages delivered.
- o Grew revenue associated with artist-driven programs in three years to almost $100MM
- Leveraged Pandora's platform to connect artists including The Rolling Stones, Jack White, Skrillex and Diplo, Pharrell Williams, Big Sean, Mumford & Sons, Metallica, Fall Out Boy, The 1975, Tim McGraw, Gucci Mane, Migos, Odesza, and thousands more with their audiences -- numbering in the millions of listeners. Partnered with festivals including Outside Lands, Hangout, Stagecoach, and many others, to drive awareness and ticket sales.
Columbia Records – VP Digital
- Directed 8-person Digital Marketing Department
- Worked closely with Sales, Promotion and Sony Music Global Business Development to exploit new digital and mobile technologies and media for marketing and revenue opportunities.
- Developed innovative cross-media and interdepartmental sales and marketing initiatives for digital and physical distribution.
Virgin Records AMerica – Senior Director Interactive Marketing
- Conceived, developed, budgeted, and executed online and interactive marketing initiatives with media and technology partners.
- Led label’s digital retail marketing and sales. Primary label interface on successful growth relationships with iTunes and other digital retailers.
- Developed innovative cross-media and interdepartmental sales and marketing initiatives for digital distribution.
- Led label’s wireless marketing and sales initiatives, working with carriers, aggregators and corporate resources to identify and exploit revenue and promotional opportunities.
Sudden Industries, New York, NY -- VP Business Development
- Developed and sold marketing technologies including rich media and email syndication and tracking; user-generated content and tracking; content management applications and web development services for clients including every major label group.
- Created, brokered, and developed technology for convergent TV-to-Web ecommerce promotions for clients including Cablevision and EMI.
Rykodisc USA -- Director of New Media
- Led label’s Digital Distribution efforts, including pioneering distribution deals with Emusic and Liquid Audio. Arranged content promotions with media, technology, and retail partners.
- Built label’s industry-leading online presence from the ground up.
- Guided label’s direct mail operation to profitability through online sales promotions and grass roots marketing.
- Opened new distribution channels for specialty products. Oversaw and provided marketing support to multi-channel national sales force.
- Developed, product managed, and licensed music content for two volumes of Play It By Ear: The First CD Game, a groundbreaking audio quiz game.
Brown University, Providence, RI
- B.A. American Civilization with Popular Culture Concentration
BIKE MS NYC/MASSACHUSETTS
- Raised nearly $90,000 from 2005-2017
- Alumni Advisory Board 2017-18: Mentored undergraduates in nonprofit radio station’s transition from terrestrial to digital platforms